Congleton Youth Forum Meeting Minutes

The Youth Forum meeting took place recently, download the full meeting minutes HERE.

Highlights include:

Mental Health / Substance Misuse Project  – update EBA.


Catherine and Sam gave a report on the work they have been doing at Eaton Bank Academy in support of this project.

Following training support from Visyon they have set up a 10 student strong Peer Mentoring Group/Project.

They have offered made themselves available to offer advice and support on wellbeing and welfare support across years 11 and 12.

Had regular discussion sessions on issues and plans of action.

Looking to make the project sustainable by training the incoming year 12s.

Working on a Mental Health Awareness campaign with Helen MacKay ( Macclesfield) and the new project team of schools and colleges being set up across Cheshire East.

Presentations on the subjects can be made at any school.

Mental Health Cards ( details of support contacts) for students are being developed and will be available for the start of the September term.


The group congratulated them on their excellent work.


Basis of the training was 2 hours sessions with Jamie / Laura from Visyon. Liz did 2 hour sessions with all of the sixth form on Mental Health.

Liz commented that they were happy to go and talk to CHS if they so wished.

Caroline felt CHS would welcome similar training to EBA.


Once this project is completed The Partnership would review what could be done to support it going forward.


  1. Substance Awareness days.

Both secondary schools to be involved. GW discuss with F.Bruce / Youth Committee.

Congleton Youth Committee keep raising this as a topic, they need to take the lead.

MP was involved in the last time this programme was delivered, schools would be receptive for this to happen again. Youth Committee need to develop a programme to deliver this.  £250

PCSO commented that year 7 & 8 showed a marked increase in drug issues and that drug awareness days were needed in schools.

Summer Activities.

MS sent out prior to the meeting, if you have any activity you wish to be advertised please send to MS for circulation.


Visyon Summer Programme                                      Sent to group 3.7.18

Leisure Centre Programme                                                                9.7.18

Astbury Watersports Schools Programme                                         3.7.18

Congleton Town Ctr Play Day 14th August (10am to 2pm)

New Great Places to play leaflet (Play Areas) to be issued              This month

Friends for Leisure 3 x events – 1st Aug Old saw Mill – Wall Painting 2 to 3.30

(01260 275333)                         6th Aug EBA Bubble Footie  10.30 to 11.45

30th Aug New Life Church Summer Party 1 to 2.30

Lee’s Football School EBA Weekly Sessions July/Aug £15 per day/weekly rates.

For up to-date information visit the Town Council website


Next Meeting.


TBA.  MS and GW to draw up a schedule for the next 12 months (4 meetings)

Congleton Sustainability Group meeting minutes 02.07.18

Congleton Sustainability Group meeting took place recently, download full meeting minutes HERE.

Highlights include:


Barry’s paper was circulated to the group.

Barry felt that the main way plastics could be getting into the ocean from UK is by using the wrong recycling bin.

Garden plant pots (black) appear to be a real issue.

ANSA visit is being planned by D.McGifford PA, BF and MG will go on this. BF to put some questions to ANSA prior to the visit.

A paper to be written after the visit with a full report back to CSG.

Bob Edwards offered CTC support to the CSG campaign.


The Old Saw Mill.

Apple Juice and Cider
AJ stocks are very low, will continue selling through summer.
DJ drawing up a plan for a production schedule from early September.
Now meeting its weekly targets.
GDPR action now completed.
Michelle is coordinating a membership/renewal drive
Newsletter will be out this week.
GRIPP is about 60% complete for being recognised as a Connected Communities Centre.


Green space / In Bloom – P.Pinto.
In Bloom
NWIB judging day 24th July, OSM included in IYN.
BIB national judging 2nd August.
OSM as IYN this year making 9 IYN in Congleton.
We will need to make further efforts around town on route before 24 July (nwib) and 2 Aug (BIB judges).
Too hot! And too dry!!

Next Meeting:- Note there is no CSG Meeting in August.
Mon 3rd September (Astbury Mere) PA confirm with Matt Axford.

Dementia Friendly Congleton Group meeting minutes 12.06.18

Dementia Friendly Congleton group meeting took place recently, download full minutes HERE.

Highlights include:


Drop In Sessions / Activity Programmes.




New May Dementia Friendly Congleton leaflet produced and circulated at the previous meeting.


Cup Cake Day 14th June – Event cancelled through lack of time and volunteers available.

Inclusive Swim planned for June 21st, Elizabeth Stubbs to support at Leisure Centre.

Film at Heathview end of July

Gentle walk at Museum 19th August

Seated Dance at NLC Fri 3rd August

Sue Munro to try and advertise on Social Media

Diane press release / advert.

Elizabeth Stubbs promised to do a survey round her clients to find out their needs and activity requirement. She will report back to Mike.

Diane to check with Communicare drivers to see who their main contact is.


E mail Jess McFall.

Jess advised us of a dementia friendly communities workshop being held in Crewe at the end of June and of a planned Cheshire and Merseyside networking event at the end of August. This will be held in Warrington, if anyone wishes to go please let Jess know either directly or through MS


Next Meeting :- Tuesday 10th July, 2 to 4pm, Congleton Town Hall.

Bradshaw House Statement from the Trustees of Congleton Museum

Congleton Museum trustees met Andy Kehoe and Lee Beckett of Cheshire East Council to find out why the application for Bradshaw House had been unsuccessful.

Mr. Kehoe said that CEC was very concerned about the future of Bradshaw House because the council is responsible for its care as a listed building.


The reasons he gave for Congleton Museum’s rejection were, in summary:

  1. The museum had failed to get Heritage Lottery Fund grants for the project in the past, therefore the council considered it was unlikely to be successful again.
  2. If it were to be successful, it would take too long to acquire the grant and get authorisation for work to start on the building.
  3. The projections in the museum’s bid showing expected growth in visitor numbers were considered to be over ambitious. The council officers were unable to justify that opinion.
  4. The museum is currently a small business and rapid expansion is risky. The council does not want Congleton Museum to “break”.


Trustees expressed their disappointment at the decision and challenged the reasons given.  They considered none of these points valid and pointed out:

  1. When the museum first asked HLF for support in 2014 the council was insisting it buy the building at a cost of £350,000. HLF turned the application down, partly because the scheme at that time was considered too large, and partly because it was unwilling to pay a commercial price for a building to a council which was offering negligible support to the ongoing project.

The situation now is quite different.  The property is offered on a lease, the overall project is much smaller and informal discussions between the museum and HLF have been positive.

  1. The building was offered for community use. Any community organisation taking on a listed building which has stood empty for some years will need grant funding to restore it.  This is sure to take time.  CEC has always known the museum would need to deal with HLF and was fully aware of the timescale involved.

The museum has been trying for five years to find a way to take over Bradshaw House.  In that time the building has not been maintained and has remained empty.   It does not appear that time has been of the essence until now.

  1. The figures in the business plan were based on visitor numbers elsewhere, supplied by Museums Development North West, and on a similar case study. They are conservative and considered achievable by experts.
  2. The museum is currently a small business; it is forced to be, since expansion of any kind within the current premises is impossible.  It is usual for museums to provide a cafe, both as an income stream and an attractive facility for visitors.  This is not possible in Congleton without new premises.

CEC shows minimal support for the museum.  It provides a small grant of just over £5000 a year – a fraction of the support received by the other museums in the area.

The museum was set up from scratch by a team of volunteers and has been run successfully as a charitable trust for 16 years.  The trustees have varied backgrounds and areas of expertise and understand the risks involved.  They have a realistic view of what can be achieved and have no intention of allowing the museum to “break”.  The amount of risk the board is willing to accept is up to its members.


The benefits of allowing Congleton Museum to occupy Bradshaw House remain high, both for the museum and for Congleton, its people and its councils:

  1. The move would enable the museum to be more sustainable in the long term.
  2. A museum is a highly appropriate tenant for a listed historical building.
  3. CEC says it has no current plan for the future of Bradshaw House. If the museum were to take it over, it would be fully restored and cared for the full term of the thirty year lease.
  4. The museum’s education offering could be increased, with space available for a larger numbers of children, making a visit more cost-effective for schools.
  5. Bradshaw House is much more visible and more attractive than the museum’s current premises.
  6. The museum would be able to handle a much larger number of visitors.
  7. Improved facilities would encourage more visitors to the town, so benefitting the economy:
    • There would be plenty of exhibition space, storage, education & research facilities and accommodation for staff and volunteers, as well as room for a cafe and a larger gift shop.
    • The museum would be able to accept more artefacts and display more of the collection it already has. This would allow the increasing number of local archaeological finds to remain in the area.
    • The museum already works in partnership with national museums, such as the V&A and the British Museum, and would be able to host touring exhibitions.
    • There is a garden for outdoor activities and it would be possible to hold conferences and other events.
  8. It would provide a central venue for the people of Congleton. The town is expanding rapidly and the museum would promote a sense of place and community.
  9. The museum would be a catalyst to invigorate the Lawton Street Conservation Area .
  10. The project meets Cheshire East Council’s long term objectives as stated in its corporate plan:

Our local communities are strong and supportive

Cheshire East has a strong and resilient economy

People have the life skills and education they need in order to thrive

Cheshire East is a green and sustainable place

People live well and for longer


The trustees will be asking Cheshire East Council to reconsider its decision and asking the people of Congleton to support an expanded museum.


The trustees are grateful for the support of Congleton’s MP, Fiona Bruce, who made the following statement:

“The development of Congleton Museum moving to Bradshaw House has the potential to provide a much enhanced cultural destination over and above the museum’s current location for the local population and visitors to enjoy. This move would also enhance the opportunities for other visitor attractions in the town to increase their footfall. For these reasons I fully support the museum’s proposal.

Congleton Museum has a really interesting story to tell about the town’s history and Bradshaw House would provide the museum with the location to present not only this but also exhibits from the whole of Cheshire and from national collections.

It would be a wonderful and much needed location for educational visits, family groups and for residents who feel proud of this town, as I do, in an appropriate setting for showcasing the town of Congleton.

I will be writing to the Leader of Cheshire East to look again at the business case presented to them by the museum and also, on behalf of Congleton, asking Cheshire East to support the museum’s bid for Heritage Lottery Funding for the development of Bradshaw House.”

Fiona Bruce MP


Congleton Museum Trustees:

 Ian Doughty (chair), Dawn Allen , Anne Gubbins, Linda Hulse, Mike Laurence, Anna Morrison,
Diane Ritherdon, Ron Renshaw, David Topping, Mike Warke.


Congleton Partnership Executive meeting minutes 05.06.18

Congleton Partnership Executive meeting took place recently download the meeting HERE.


Highlights include:

  1. Public Realm – the contract with Pronin is complete – apart from any outstanding snagging business. The Town Council has asked for quotes for two new lamp post heads in Victoria Street. We have yet to have the meeting with Cheshire East Assets about responsibilities going forward – so for now everything is still a Cheshire East Asset. The Town Council will be planting up the big tubs with summer bedding and doing a deep clean.
  2. Makers Market – We have held the first two Makers Markets- both a great success. The stall holders thought Congleton was the most positive first market day that they had ever experienced. Probably thanks to the Food and Drink festival making Congleton really receptive to events! On both days the footfall increased by over 4,000. The feedback from shops has been largely positive – some had better days, some didn’t really see any uplift in their sales, but felt that the town benefited from being busier. Each time there have been some issues to improve on – the team behind the makers market are receptive to working with local people and keen on feedback.
  3. Congleton in Bloom – Lots of In Bloom work is underway – the North West in Bloom judging day will be on the 24th July and the Britain in Bloom judging on the 2nd There is another clean up around the park this weekend from10 – 12. Still lots to do and all help gratefully received!


Group Reports.

Youth Forum – GWilliams

We are now at the delivery stage of the PB grant award project. 3 of the 7 elements have been delivered, with a 4th (40 things to do in Congleton) booklet being completed by J.Money once Food & Drink Fest is out of the way.

Good feedback on some of the sessions.

CSG – P.Aston.

New cycle map- has been produced in partnership with Cycling Group, Sustrans and Local Authorities (Congleton / Staffs) to support the route along Biddulph Valley Way from Congleton to SOT.

Hydro Scheme – CEBC Planning Dept have raised several issues around the planning application. CSG have temporary withdrawn the application for further surveys to be carried out.

Fracking – New planning conditions being brought in to side step local government and allow easier granting of permission nationally. CSG to meet with F.Bruce MP to raise our concerns.

Old Saw Mill – Experienced a real surge in trade following the Royal Visit / PR created, this has now flattened out to pre visit turnover. Apple juice and Cider going well, good sales from Makers Market and Rode Hall events, looking for good day at F&D festival.

Connected Communities Centre – Early days, difficult in reaching socially isolate residents.

Plastics – CSG are trying to get a view together on what can be done to tackle the issue. CEB new document has been circulated and in planned to go to all homes in the near future.

PP commented that schools should pick this up through their Marine Project


Bradshaw House.

D.Topping took us through a statement from the trustees of Congleton Museum document. This explained the reasons given by Cheshire East in rejecting the museums bid for Bradshaw House and their challenges against this decision, the benefits they could offer by moving there, and a call to arms from Congleton residents to support this plan. F.Bruce MP is very supportive and  has written to Cheshire East asking them to reconsider their decision.

MS to circulate a copy of this document with the minutes. A version of the document will appear in The Chronicle

Bob Edwards indicated that the Town Council were strongly supportive of this project and asked for some extra time to work on this.

The Partnership fully supported both the Town Council and The Museum in pursuing this project and keeping Bradshaw House as a jewel in Congleton’s crown.



MS read out an email from Dan Coyne where he summarised what work had gone on to mitigate the closure of Mountview. He has been discussing the issues with The Town Council, Plus Dane and New Life Church. Working on a business case to put to Cheshire East senior managers by the end of June. He will raise the issue at the next Congleton Neighbourhood Group meeting and the Dementia Friendly Congleton group.

M.Gleave added comments that there were 23 people who had been involved in the consultation, that 2 strong options had come to the forefront, a Venue and Service Provider working jointly.

The consultation also showed a desire for the venue to be in Congleton and to be reasonably consistent (ie not a different one every day).

PB added that Mountview would not be closed until places had been found for all of the clients.

Heritage Trail / Heritage Fortnight.

8th to 23rd September.

This included 2 x Heritage Open Weekends, 40+ events (talks, open days, activities) the lead for this event is Nino Manci.

They are working on putting together a Heritage Tour using QR codes on pavements outside of out more interesting and historic buildings. This should all be in place for the In Bloom Judging as heritage is an important aspect of in bloom too.


The meeting ended at 7.18pm

Next Meeting is:- AGM / Executive Meeting ,Tuesday 11th September 2018 , Bridestones Suite , 5.30pm


Congleton Sustainability Group Meeting Minutes 17.05.18

Congleton Sustainability Group Meeting took place recently, download full meeting minutes HERE.

Highlights include:


MS to recirculate Ruth (Wilmslow) 20 things we can do list. Would all please review the list and feedback ideas to MS for collation and then discussion at the next meeting.

In Bloom looking to be more upfront about the issue.

GW to pull out positive data regarding Cheshire East’s home collection/ recyclables.

MS recirculate 20 things list. Al feedback ideas to MS

GW get CEBC data.

Need to get an article together for The Chronicle after the next meeting to start to raise Congleton’s awareness of this issue. Whilst what we do will be a drop in the ocean, doing nothing was not an option.

Long term this an issue we can work with our MP on.


Dane Valley Community Energy.
Planning application in 18/0773M
Lots of questions being asked by planners that will all need addressing before planning permission can be granted, site meeting this week.
Access to the site to get equipment down to the build is currently the biggest problem. We have 3 options that are being explored.

Neighbourhood Plan.
Plan has now ready to go CEBC for Reg 15.
Once the inspector/examiner has studied it any queries/ questions will come back to our team for action.
Looking at an autumn/September public referendum. It is felt that The partnership may have a role to play here in lifting both public awareness and participation.
DJ made a point that he is no longer involved in the River Valley Project, but that this should be part of the overall delivery plan once the NHP has been formalised.
Next Meeting:-
Mon 4th June 2018 , The Old Saw Mill ,10.00am

Dementia Friendly Congleton Group Meeting Minutes 17.04.18

Dementia Friendly Congleton Group Meeting took place recently, download the full meeting minutes HERE.

Highlights include:


Dementia Friends Awareness Sessions.


DF Target 250, achieved to date 181.

A number of sessions lined up. Eaton Bank Academy, Innovation Hairdressers, Congleton Labour Group plus various sessions during Dementia Action Week.

SM and PM attended a Dementia Friends Champions networking event on 16th April. A good event which updated on new resources available including sign language.

SJ to get hold of a pack to share with us. MS circulate.

SJ advised that the Cheshire East Carers Hub launched on 1st April, she will send information to MS for circulation. No change to our local personnel.

Businesses / Shops/ Community Centres etc.

Need to look at a way of following up with businesses that has had some representation a recent DF awareness sessions and discuss what they can do to start to improve their environment for people living with dementia.

Need a physical visit to these stores, may be something to be carried out during DA week.

S.Jacklin to discuss with P.Houldsworth (St John’s Community centre) MS to talk to Alison Parr at Ruby’s Fund to see if they would be interested in holding a session.

SM to look at increasing the use of social media, look at getting on Congleton Chats back.


Mountview. Consultation going on until end of June. Interviewing people individually. 2 more sessions being held in Macclesfield and Crewe.

Congleton Town Council are having discussions with CEBC about the situation.

Olympia Event 8th/9th June. Susan and Peter attending.

Thanks for the Memory Event 13th May. Poster to be circulated.

Relax Theatre at The New Vic 23rd July 2.15pm.

DEMCOM –focus group. All welcome to meeting at Belong Village Crewe. Confirm to Jess McFall if interested.

Pop Up banners. We have a supply, let MS know if you need one, example of one to be circulated.


Dates for the diary.

Carers Week 11th to 17th June

Cupcake day 14th June

Alzheimer’s Day 21st September

Magical Inclusion Week 24th to 30th Sept.

Meeting Finished at:4.00pm


Next Meeting:-  Tuesday 15th May, Congleton Town Hall  2 to 4pm.